2015 • 18″ x 24″
This quilt was created from a very unusual piece of painted fabric that turned out to be very “directional” when it dried. I thought the fabric needed an image that suggested movement so I decided to use the profile of a horse in motion.
I created the horse’s head on a piece of freezer paper and ironed the “negative” space of the cut-out freezer paper on the painted fabric. Using gold metallic fabric paint, I “swiped” the gold accents onto the fabric in the space created by the freezer paper cut-out. Then I used free motion stitching and lots of thread to create the mane. I stitched around the image, quilted the entire piece of fabric and used a double layer of batting under the horse to create dimension. I “rough cut” the fabric and used a Golden medium to affix the entire piece to a painting panel that I had previously painted with black enamel. The entire piece was sprayed with a fine art matte varnish for protection.